12 Months of Neon Love
Tuesday 14 3:00pm –
The Orangery, Back Lane, Wakefield, WF1 2TG
12 MONTHS OF NEON LOVE is a collaboration between Victoria Lucas and Richard William Wheater, and began on St Valentines day 2011. The project is formed using a sequence of twelve lyrical statements, borrowed from well-known songs that feature the many configurations of love. Presented over a year in large red neon text, twelve expressions are visually re-presented to an unsuspecting audience going about their everyday lives. The work is situated on the roof of Neon Workshops in Wakefield, and can be viewed from the train line south of Westgate Station.
The Orangery is hosting a live auction as part of the closing event for 12 MONTHS OF NEON LOVE, which will take place on the 14th February 2012. Six of the twelve neon lyric sets will be auctioned to members of the general public, starting with a reserve bidding price of just £300.00. Bidding will take place in person or by phone, and the auctioned artworks comprise individual, neon-filled glass letters that can be installed to different dimensions.
Bidding will begin at 3.30pm and will include the following lots:
- Amy Winehouse: ...Love is a Losing Game… (August 2011 Installation, 60cm high individual letters)
- Nirvana: ...Can You Feel My Love Buzz… (April 2011 Installation, 60cm high individual letters)
- Ian Dury and the Blockheads: ...Wake Up and Make Love With Me… (May 2011 Installation, 60cm high individual letters)
- R.E.M: …This One Goes Out To The One I Love… (June 2011 Installation, 40cm high individual letters)
- Beatles: …Baby You Can Drive My Car, and Maybe I’ll Love You… (July 2011 Installation, 40cm high individual letters)
- Bob Marley: …Is This Love, Is This Love That I’m Feeling… (December 2011 Installation, 40cm high individual letters)
Attendance is free, and all are welcome.